top of page

Updating The Dining Room

March 5, 2018

Picking up this project where we left off after removing an entire wall - we moved on to major cosmetic upgrades to the entire room. The plan at the beginning was to pull the dingy old paneling off the walls and touch up then repaint the drywall underneath. Unfortunately the paneling was hung with nails AND and industrial adhesive. This resulted in abstract chunks being torn off the face of the drywall and leaving a surface that would have been more trouble than it was worth to patch.

Some of these are affiliate links, and I can benefit from your purchases. Some of them are just so you can easily find the stuff you need.


We ended up taking the walls down to the studs and hanging all new sheetrock. After several rounds of mudding and sanding we were finally able to paint and get the room back in usable condition for the time being. Since the dining room flows into the stairway, we also painted painted that area as well. We decided not to pull the panelling out of there and just painted over it instead.

The end result of this project is a much brighter and cleaner feeling room that fits in with the rest of the updates we have made to the house over the last few years. The dining room still needs a new light fixture and some paint and trim around the window. In the coming weeks we will be pulling the carpet out of the room, then getting the holes in the hardwood floor patched and refinished. After that, we will put new trim throughout the entire main floor of our house.

bottom of page